Yet More Community Raised Beds
After our absolutely fantastic May during which we installed 76 brand new raised beds and supported 76 new households as part of Growing Spaces project, we are (very) pleased to announce that a further 30 beds will be created in June. Target areas are Newport, Cowes and Ryde on the Isle of Wight.
That’s going to bring the running total for this year to nearly 180 beds and will mean that we will have given some 430 island households the chance to change their lives via our delivery of Growing Spaces, our flagship, award winning community project – Growing Spaces won the National Housing Federation’s What We Are Proud Of 2010 award for the south east. Growing Spaces is delivered by us in partnership with Medina Housing Association – it’s a raised bed project that aims to give people everything they need to start to grow their own fruit and vegetables.
Every participant receives:
- An individually tailored, purpose-built raised bed which is filled with a locally sourced soil and compost mix.
- Seeds and plants along with all the information and advice you need to look after them.
- A regular training programme – created and delivered by Growing Ideas – including drop in cooking, advice and give-away sessions.
- Access to the project website, designed and maintained by Growing Ideas: Growing Spaces.
- The chance to join the island community growing together and to share their experiences with others.
It’s free to join and is open to everybody so join us, save money, live more healthily and reduce your family’s carbon footprint too – go to Growing Spaces for more information.
Tags: Healthy Living